In 1920 Captain Stanley R. Mullard named his new company the Mullard Radio Valve Company. In the great war Mullard was responsible with the Admiralty for the development and manufacturing of transmitter – and receiving valves. His company was also one of the founders of the British Broadcasting Corporation in 1922. With the start of these public radio transmissions the demand for tubes increased in households. To meet this demand Mullard seeked external capital and financed this by selling half of his stocks in his company to the Philips indascent bulb factory in Eindhoven. Tubes that were thereafter made by Mullard got the prefix PM for Philips-Mullard.
In 1928 Philips/Mullard introduced their first pentodes the P.M.22 & 24:
Philips P.M. 24 Pentode
In the thirties Mullard grew rapidly due to an ever increasing demand for valves and one factory after another was built to manufacture them. The biggest of them was situated in Blackburn, Lancashire and at the peak of their production 7,500 people worked at Mullard.
Most famous valve from Mullard muss be the EL34 power pentode introduced in 1949 by Philips
Een van de eerste EL34’s
The American equivalent of the EL34 is the 6CA7 introduced by Sylvania and GE.
The Mullard EL34 is praised for its smooth sound and good sustain and therefore loved by many guitarists that use these valves in their Marshall amplifiers. The EL34 is also loved by many audiophiles who buy or built power amplifiers that operate in a push pull fashion.
GE Fat Bottle 6CA7, American equivalent of the EL34
The American ‘Fat Bottle’ 6CA7 resembles in sound character more the 6L6 beamtetrode than the EL34.
We sell the reissues from Mullard and Tung-Sol of this famous tube.